Monday, June 29, 2009

Lunch, with kids

I've figured out, what ever it is you're doing, it's way more interesting with kids. Like today for example. Heidi took the kids to the Phoenix Children's Museum which is not far from where I work so we decided to meet up for lunch.

I met them at Burger King. Daniel immediately starts to make a loud fuss about which toy he wants. Then about which drink he wants. He wants the red slushy.

Before we've sat down Rylie has taken my straw and started gnawing on it, paper and all. She sees me dip a french fry and is quick to then dip her fingers, fries, chicken and straw. She manages to get ketchup all over the table, wall, window, and bench.

She notices Daniel's drink and wants some. Daniel is kind enough to share. Rylie spits out the mouth full of chicken she was working on (as I hoped no one else noticed) to take a drink. As soon as she gets it to her mouth Daniel says "...and stop." She got one sip, that was enough sharing.

We get her a small cup of water with a straw. She takes it and starts blowing bubbles. Daniel starts blowing bubbles. Daniel starts getting red slushy on the table, wall and himself.

And Daniel of course also dipped his fingers and chicken in his slushy. He played with his toy most of the time which was a transformer car that launches something in the air and makes a cool noise. I can't emphasize "Awesome!" enough. It was inevitable that he launched the toy into the pool of ketchup in the middle of the tray. Although I handed him a napkin followed by instructions to wipe the ketchup off, he simply looked at the napkin, not sure what he was supposed to do with it, put it down and reloaded the car, with ketchup and all.

At one point Rylie made a growling noise which she likes to do from time to time so I playfully made a tiger-growling noise back, and before I knew it, Daniel and Rylie are having fun making loud tiger noises at each other.

While I went to get extra napkins, Daniel managed to swig a drink from my cup and had Dr Pepper dripping down his chin when I got back. Sorry about that Heidi, that with the slushy... well, good luck at the museum today.

As I sit here back at my desk, with a small ketchup hand print on my shoulder, I can't help but think how much I adore my kids and miss hanging out with them everyday. I can't wait for school to be finished so I can spend more time with them.

1 comment: