Saturday, May 9, 2009

Happy Mothers Day

Happy Mothers Day to all you mothers out there! You really are amazing. I spend a lot of extra alone time with Daniel and Rylie after I get home from work and if there is one thing I have come to realize, it's that I can't accomplish anything when I'm watching them. I am constantly interrupted and am constantly trying to meet their demands. It took me a lot longer to give up a personal agenda than Heidi.

I finally had to admit that it was only a list of things that I could never get accomplished while I'm watching them and consequently became a point of frustration. I couldn't spend 30 minutes exercising, or reading a book or playing the piano or watching something I liked on TV. I would always be interrupted every other minute so whatever it was I was trying to do became lost, forgotten and wasted. This is an important transition to make though and I think it becomes inevitable for any parent. Once you make this transition the happiness in the home is at it's greatest and the bonds you share with your kids are at their strongest. Basically, you come to realize and practice the belief that there is nothing more important in life than your kids.

I still have to laugh at the time I walked in to play something on the piano thinking Daniel and Rylie were distracted playing together in the other room and by the time I got the sheet music out, sat down and started, I had only played to the 3rd measure before Daniel was on my right side and Rylie was on my left side, both playing with me.

Another time I had been craving homemade salsa that Heidi makes. (It's incredibly delicious.) I was so excited to have some but every time I tried to sit down and dip a chip something would happen that would draw me away. Finally Rylie had a poopie and needed to be changed. After I got her changed I came back to the table to find that Daniel had eaten all the chips. All of my numerous attempts to enjoy something as petty as chips and salsa were foiled. I cried to no one in particular exclaiming "I just wanted some chips and salsa!!!"

It's been a fun lesson to learn. There is no such thing as private time, even in the bathroom. I can either listen to Rylie scream and pound on the door or I can just let her in. There is nothing that is "mine" that Daniel and Rylie don't also demand that I share with them, least of all, my time.

I sit down at the computer to try and catch up with paying bills or research something like how to get Vaseline out of hair or catch up on my blog. Within 60 seconds either Daniel is blowing his toy "Noah's Ark" fog horn in my face like right now, or Rylie is pulling on me wanting me to get down and play with her.

So anyway, like I said, Heidi learned how to give up everything personal and private long before I did. I can only say how much I love her and appreciate her for being able to do things that I struggle with. If you can make dinner and keep your kids out of trouble at the same time, you are an amazing mom.

In addition to giving all her time to the kids, Heidi has acquired other necessary daily skills. She can dress Rylie while Rylie is rolling and kicking and trying to crawl away. She can button those obnoxious snaps they put on baby clothes while Rylie is crawling. She can put a diaper on Daniel while he's standing up. When I try it either falls off or only covers half of his butt.

I would balk at the idea of taking one of my kids out to the store with me, let alone two kids. What do you do with the second kid while you are putting the first in or out of their car seat? Which one do you put in first, the 1 year old, which will leave the two year old free to take off running as soon as you let go of him or the 2 year old so he doesn't take off running, but where do I put the 1 year old in the mean time? I stress out about stuff like that.

So here's to mothers everywhere. You have natural gifts and talents that most guys don't. At least I don't.

HAPPY MOTHERS DAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment