Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Crib or Toddler Bed?

There is nothing quite like being woken up at 5:30 in the morning by a little thud, a door opening and a sudden realization that your 19 month old has just jumped out of their crib and are on the prowl for you. Yep, Daniel has just mastered the skill of jumping out of his crib and now instead of waiting for us to get him, will just jump out by himself and go in search of us. Now, this probably is supposed to be an exciting event in a child's life-- but I'm not sure I'm ready to know my baby is free.

So now the big question comes, do you leave him in his crib, or do you transfer him to a toddler bed? I still love having 4 high walls to keep him in and he still hasn't learned how to sleep in one position-- but at the same time is it worth the risk of him falling and hurting himself. Oh the difficult decisions a parent must make.

Anyway, deep thoughts from a mother at 6 am still barely awake.

1 comment:

  1. That's amazing that he can climb out of his crib already! Wow! Watch out, world! Kids are amazingly adept at telling us when they're ready for the next step -- whether we are or not! We actually still have our 2nd boy still in a crib at 2 1/2 years old. I just know he'll be all over the place instead of sleeping -- and I'm a big fan of kids sleeping, so, we'll see when that changes. He seems to like it still, anyway. I guess we'll just have to make a switch when the baby's too big for the pack-n-play! Good luck!

    -Michelle (& Neal)-

    ReplyDelete