Thursday, September 10, 2009

Going domestic



Last Sat. I got a box of UTAH peaches. I didn't realize while growing up in UT that they truly have the best peaches around. So juicy and tasty-- I just can't get enough of them. While growing up my mom would bottle peaches at the end of every summer. I remember well working with her in the kitchen and then enjoying the peaches all year round. So, after getting my box on Sat. I was so excited to finally try this out myself. Tuesday night, while Darin was at class, I decided to take advantage of some free time and ended up bottling peaches and making jam. On Weds. I then made fruit leather and dried peach pieces. It was so fun. Daniel and Rylie tried the bottled peaches out yesterday and seemed like big fans. I just love the sight of the bottled peaches, they bring back fond memories. If only I also had cherries and pears to bottle-- they were also divine.

I did learn one thing though-- when making fruit leather make sure to spray non-stick spray onto the plastic before pouring on the puree. My leather turned out really good, I just can't get it off of the plastic without taking painstakingly long to slowly peel it so that it comes out almost in one piece. I think this morning it took me about 30 mins. to get one sheet off. Daniel devours the stuff. He has just come up with a complete love of fruit roll ups, so he is thrilled to now have so much on hand in which I don't get upset if he eats a lot.
(this is of course a picture of him with a fruit roll up, now just imaging a peach leather and his face wouldn't be too different.)

1 comment:

  1. Heidi, brave is what you are. I loved canning with my mom too, but I've been too chicken to ever give it a try without her. I wish we were neighbors who did our canning and bottling together every summer and fall...

    ReplyDelete