Sunday, January 4, 2009

Daniel funnies - January 09 edition

1. I don't know where he learned this but when referring to the butt cream - he would say "butter"
So when we change him he points to his bottom saying "ouchy, need butter!"

2. One day he dropped his sippy cup and the water just happened to come shooting out of the mouth of the cup like a spray bottle and got him wet. He looked at me with surprise on his face and said "rain!"
I find it so facinating to see how he uses his limited vocabulary to describe things. I remember feeling much the same way when trying to learn spanish while living in Argentina. For a long time I had to resort to a basic and limited vocabulary when talking with people. I probably said things with the wrong context all the time and didn't know it.

3. A few weeks ago we got ready for church and we kept telling Daniel it was time to leave.

Daniel: TV on.

Heidi: we can't watch tv now we need to leave for church.

Daniel: no church, Church later (can't disagree there, we all hate 8:00am church)

Heidi (trying to motivate him a little): Rylie is going, you can play with Rylie at church

Daniel: no church, Rylie home (I don't have to go to church to play with Rylie, I can play with Rylie right here)

Darin: so much for innocent cajoling...

4. Daniel can be such a helper when he wants to. He insisted on taking out the kitchen recycling box that was full, so I helped him through the door and dumped it in the big bin outside. When he started to put the box back under the counter we found more recycling that had fallen behind when the box was full, that need to be taken out so I helped him fill the box again and take it out again. Then when he started to put the box back he found two small pieces of torn paper about the width of a dime; he put those in the box then proceeded to march out to dump the box again for the third time. I explained that usually we wait till the box is full before we dump it; a tiny piece of paper at the bottom of the box didn't count as full.

5. He has become obsessed with blowing kisses at us at night. He will blow kisses whenever he leaves the room and will stand there blowing kisses until BOTH of us acknowledge him and blow a kiss back. He walked in our room one night to tell us something, then blew me a kiss as he was leaving but mom was already laying down, so he walked all the way across the room and to her side of the bed still blowing kisses the whole way there until she finally sat up and blew him a kiss back. Then he smiled and ran back to his room.

6. A couple of weeks ago we were all sick and Daniel and Rylie and Heidi all took turns throwing up from some stomach bug. For Daniel and Rylie there wasn't much warning before they tossed their cookies, so we took to carrying around a small bucket as a precaution. Last week he found out that his cousin Orson was sick and throwing up. So Daniel ran over and grabbed the bucket and illustrated hacking into the bucket. He would say something about Orson being sick then put his head in the bucket and make a throwing up noise. He continued to show us what Orson was probably doing for another 5 minutes following us around room to room.
We can appreciate his concern and understanding, but we finally had to get him to stop. Please, no more visuals.

7. While in Sacrament meeting at church Daniel will often get a little restless and can't sit still so when he begins to be too rambunctious I will take him out in the hall. Last Sunday when we made it to the hall he kept telling me he wanted to go outside. Sometimes we will go for a walk around the building. It happened to be raining so I didn't want to go outside but he kept persisting saying he wanted to go outside. So I finally gave in and stepped outside and no sooner than we stepped outside than he started saying Car! car! car! Then I finally caught on to his game. He wanted to go home, that was all. Getting me to take him out to the hallway must have been stage 1, then outside was stage 2 of his plan. Stage 3 was the car! Great, he's 2 1/2 and he's already scheming plans to work me.

8. I remember telling Heidi sometime after we had Daniel that he needed to learn how to talk, this screaming and crying business wasn't helping anyone. If he could just tell us what the problem was then we could help him. (This came after many times of frustrations while trying to figure out why he was crying and how to make him happy. We tried many techniques including sign language, faces, holding different objects in front of him and signal flags. That opened up a whole new appreciation for basic communication skills.) One day I heard him say "mommy, need walk." I don't know if he wanted a walk or needed a walk, but either way I felt the nostalgic moment as he passed another developmental milestone.

9. He has caught on to the instinctual boyish hilarity of burping and farting. He will often hold his throat after burping and point out the fact to everyone around that he burped. Once he came into the room just laughing and giggling, holding his throat managing to eek out the word burp every few laughs; until he started hiccuping; then he started laughing all over again because he now had the hiccups. laugh, laugh, laugh, hiccup! laugh, laugh, laugh, hiccup...!

No comments:

Post a Comment